A sublimation printer is basically a printer that transfers dye onto different surfaces or different materials such as fabrics or plastics with the application of heat and pressure. After using this sublimation process with the help of a printer, you can ensure to get a firm design on your paper and that too without any risk of overheating or smearing.
Nowadays, many sublimation printers are using this thermal printing process for t-shirt designing, photo printing, mug designing, etc. If you are looking for the best sublimation printers, then there are a wide range of options from which you can choose. You will also get various models of dye sublimation printers that fit in well for specialized designing and crafting purposes.
Factors to Consider While Choosing the Best Sublimation Printers:
Before choosing the most suited model of sublimation printer for your purpose, you should keep in mind some key factors that will help you in making the right decision.
- Printing Resolution: While opting for a printer, make sure to get the best possible resolution. The resolution is measurable in terms of dots per inch or dpi. A detailed image looks more appealing with the maximum resolution of the printer. The more the resolution, the more razor-cut sharp the images will be.
- Check out the layout of the printing medium: You may get a variety of printing medium materials as per your purpose. So, before opting for a printer, ensure to check the layout of the printer and see whether it matches with the layout of the printing medium of your use.
- Check the sublimation printer’s connectivity: When you choose a sublimation printer, have a look at its different connectivity options which includes Ethernet linking, Wi-Fi connectivity or USB connections. This will help you in linking up and managing different designs that you are interested to print on different materials.
- Verify the printing mechanism of the sublimation printer: Make sure that the printouts that you are getting out of your printer are well designed and more professional in looks.
- Value for money: Select a printer which is affordable as well as efficient to use depending upon your requirements. Ensure that it is qualitative and convenient to use.
- Check out your printer’s functionalities: Last but not the least; you must verify a wide array of the functionalities your sublimation printer offers.
Our Top Picks for the Best Sublimation Printers:
Whether you are planning to buy a sublimation printer for your commercial purpose or personal needs, you can always go through our list of recommended printers listed below. Our experts have suggested these top picks by keeping in mind the key factors that will prove helpful in choosing your printer.
So, follow our guide that will help you to decide and make the best choice of the sublimation printer specific to your needs.
1. Epson Workforce WF-7710 : Best Multi-functional Printer
The Epson Workforce WF-7710 is an indispensable option for those who are looking for a printer that meets both printing as well as scanning needs. With double-sided printing capabilities, this printer can print up to a hefty 13*19 inches in size. The printer comes with a sheet tray that has the capacity to hold 250 sheets. Thus, it is a great printer for performing large tasks.
Its time-saving features make it an ideal option for those who want more printing efforts in less time and that too without using extra sheets of paper than it’s required. This inkjet colour printer was designed especially for innovative small-sized businesses with an aim of increasing productivity. With a weight of about 40 pounds and size of about 32.2*22.3*13.4 inches, this printer is quite larger in size, compared to others.
As it supports NFC connections, you can easily link your printer to different items.
- Supports the use of sublimation ink
- Supports both Wi-Fi direct and Ethernet connectivity
- Consumption of power is less compared to other models
- Easy adjustments can be made in the settings of the printer with its 4.3 inch touch screen control panel
- Supports various printing fabric materials
- Alignment of cartridges is a bit difficult
- Much use of ink while printing some wide-format projects.
2. Epson Stylus C88+ : Best Budget Printer
The Stylus C88+ model of Epson printer is designed specifically for basic home use. With a maximum resolution of 5670*1440 dpi, this affordable and advanced machine can print in high resolution. Above all, its easy downloading and setting up of drivers’ procedure makes it a useful choice for those who want to look after their printing work.
This swift printer can print on transfer paper like any other sublimation printer. It also comes with a paper tray that has the capacity to hold up to 120 sheets. This dye sublimation printer is not wireless and thus for easy connectivity, it has both USB as well as parallel ports. For your ease and convenience, you can utilize the photo editing software program that is provided along with this printer.
- Provides support for borderless printing
- For simpler transfer needs, it produces smudge resistant surfaces
- It supports all types of paper materials that even include airmail paper.
- The printing does not seem well with the third-party ink cartridges
- Fails to print items that are too large in size.
3. Sawgrass Virtuoso SG400 : Best High-Resolution Printer
Sawgrass Virtuoso SG400 will be your best bet if you are looking for a printer that is able to produce high quality images with high resolution on various arrays of materials. With a printing resolution of 1200*1200 dpi, this SG400 photo printer is capable of printing around 34 pictures per hour. This particular printer model undoubtedly fulfils all your printing needs that even include copying, scanning and faxing.
A dry sublimation process is used by this printer model and that is why within a moment it can apply ink on various intermediary fabrics. This high-resolution printer can be well used against cotton T-shirts as the printer fails to work on this surface. With 200 sheets of sublimation paper, this printer does not compromise to give quality prints.
- Comes with Sawgrass’ Creative Studio software
- Specifically manufactured for dye sublimation printing.
- Includes short warranty period
- Use of expensive ink.
4. Canon Selphy CP 1300 Wireless : Best for Beginners
If your top priority is high-quality printing and that too with a useful setup of heat transfer, then Canon Selphy CP 1300 wireless printer is all that you need. The printer guarantees your photo prints to be fully dry after being printed. And at the same time, these images produced by your sublimation printer will be water-resistant.
It offers you with a feature of linking your memory card directly to the printer. Thus, this will be helpful to get a printout immediately at the time of your need. Apart from the option to use a USB connection, you can also use your Smartphone connection for getting a print out.
- You get an additional control over your printing tasks with the help of the tilt-up LCD control screen
- This printer supports many paper sizes, even size of postcard
- A simple layout is provided by the control buttons on the top part which helps in handling of your work.
- The feature of Instagram prints on the printer is not well-aligned.
5. Brother MFC-J995DW : Best for Fabric Printing
If you are looking for a printer that works with fabric printing mechanism, then MFC-J995DW is an exclusive model for you from Brother manufacturing company. This printer offers a helpful printing solution to provide you with the coverage that you require. Meanwhile, with its automatic two-sided printing feature, you can print your works smoothly and rapidly.
This Brother Printer model has a touch screen of 2.7 inch, thus it will be quite easier for you to differentiate various features of it and you will have better controls on the unit. An additional member feature is present on this printer which helps in the confirmation of the type of materials that you can print in one go.
- Presence of automatic duplex feature
- Its wireless mobile printing feature allows you to work with almost all mobile devices
- Adjustability of the paper tray to fit different types of paper.
- Alignment of the cartridges is a bit complicated.
- Inaccurate cartridge capacity gauge is often found.
6. Epson Workforce WF-7210 : Best Sublimation Printer for Heat Transfer
The Epson Workforce WF-7210 is effectively designed for handling a bulky intermediate fabric. It also works as an automatic two-sided scanner which can fit paper-size up to 11*17 inches. Another positive consideration of this printer is that it has a paper tray with a capability to handle a variety of cotton-based surfaces.
With this printer, you can directly print via a Smartphone or a tablet. Apart from this, with the help of the Ethernet and WI-FI Direct connectivity, ensure that your printer connects with all computers of your office.
- The printer scans quickly for an effortless printing task
- Extra assistance is offered by the rear feed of the printer for specialized paper surfaces
- Supports all mobile operating systems
- The output tray offers easy access to meet all your printing needs.
- The LCD control display of 2.2 inch is hard to access.
- In order to run the NFC function, it may require additional software.
7. Mitsubishi CP-K60DW-S : Best Compact Printer
This intriguing model of Mitsubishi printer is undoubtedly one of the most portable options in the list of best sublimation printers. The biggest advantage of having this printer is that it is quite energy-efficient and has around 96 percent less standby energy use than other printers. With a printing resolution of 300 dpi, it can print up to 6*8 photos.
Its digital image processing feature works up to 300 dpi and you can also get matte finish on your sublimation prints. With the help of the rewind function in it, you can use more ink as it allows you to move the ink ribbon properly.
- Creates different printouts in different sizes with unique finishing styles
- Great device for small-format sublimation printing
- Comes with a power-saving standby mode
- Some features of this printer are a bit complicated to set up
- This model of Mitsubishi printer is more technical for some users.
8. Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000: Best for Large Size Printing
With this particular model of Epson Expression printer, you can print out a larger image on big fabric. Its 2.4 inch colour LCD screen helps in controlling the different setups of the printer that you are using at the same time. It ensures to provide you with the most accurate images and designs.
With an ability to print borderless up to 13*19 in size, you get your desired prints on various surfaces. Its wireless printing functionality offers you with an access to get printouts from anywhere and at any moment. Even you get the option to link your sublimation printer to a wireless device of your choice, which will make your work easier.
This printer also comes with a six-colour ink feature, which when used well, mixes with other colour features in order to develop more distinct and unique designs. No doubt, this adds an excellent style to your designated fabric.
- Supports simple draft mode reviews for your designs and images
- Capable of handling items up to a thickness of 23 mm
- The printer might not work better on some screen film surfaces
- If not handled carefully, then the ink screens can even become dirty.
All the printer models that have been enlisted here are some of the best sublimation printers available in the market. So, after getting a brief overview of each of them, you can choose any of your desired products of your choice.
Hopefully, our reviews and recommendations of the sublimation printers have helped you out in determining and choosing the best sublimation printer as per your budget and requirements.