Nowadays, connecting the printer to your laptop has become essentially important as it allows you to perform multiple printings tasks from your laptop. Whether you want a hard copy of any documents or your photos, it requires a proper connection between your printer and laptop. The process of connecting the printer to your laptop isn’t a complicated one rather it is a simple and straightforward process.
So, if you want to access the printer on your laptop but don’t know the procedure to do so, then read this post till the end.
How to Connect Printer to Laptop? Two Easy Ways to Perform
There are in general two ways following which you can connect your printer to the laptop, either wirelessly or through wired connection. To know the process in detail, follow the section below.
Way 1: Connect the Printer to your Laptop Wirelessly
The wireless printers are designed to work through a network connection. If the printer is used at home, then it’s through wireless internet connection. On the other hand, if you use this wireless printer in an office, then it’s through office network connectivity. Therefore, the first step will be to connect your printing device to Wi-Fi connection.
Step 1: Connect your Printer to Wi-Fi Connection
It is to be noted that the instructions for connecting your wireless printer to the Wi-Fi network might vary from brand to brand. It depends upon the printer manufacturer. So, before proceeding to connect your printer to the laptop, it is advised to read the printer manual that you get along with your printer at the time of purchase. From there also, you can check out the directions instructed by the manufacturer to connect your printer to the Wi-Fi network.
Optionally, you can also follow the instructions stated below to connect your printer to the wireless network.
If your router and printer both have a WPS pairing button, then at first, you need to tap the WPS button on your printer. Then, proceed by pressing the corresponding button on your router.
But in case, if the WPS button is not present on your printer, then you can follow the general steps mentioned here to configure internet access on the printer.
- Begin with powering on both your laptop and the Wi-Fi router.
- After that, power on your printer and navigate to the Control Panel of the printer.
- From there, go to the Wireless Setup Settings.
- Then you have to choose the wireless SSID of the Wi-Fi network.
- Further, in the provided box, enter the Wi-Fi security password. The password for the router will be either the WPA password or the WEP key.
- After doing this, you will find that the wireless light present on the printer has turned on. This indicates that your printer has successfully got connected to the Wi-Fi network. Then you can proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Connect your Printer to your Laptop
Before moving forward, check which version of Windows OS you are using and then apply the corresponding steps for configuring your printer on your laptop.
For Windows 7 Users:
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then choose the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Further, click on the ‘Add a Printer’ option.
- After that, choose ‘Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer’ option.
- Then select the name of your printer and click on the Next option.
- From the list, you need to select your printer’s name and then install the compatible drivers for it by clicking on Next.
- Thereafter, type a printer name and tap on Next.
After completing this step, your printer will be connected to your laptop successfully.
For Windows 10 Users:
- At first, turn on your printer and press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.
- Then tap on the Settings button and choose the ‘Devices’ option.
- After that, choose the ‘Printers & Scanners’ option. Then tap on the ‘Add a printer or scanner’ option.
- Further, choose the printer that you want to connect and choose the ‘Add Device’ option. This will automatically connect your printer to the laptop.
Step 3: Update your Printer Drivers
If the drivers that you are currently using in your printer are outdated or wrong, then some problems in your printers might arise. Thus, it is always important to have the correct and latest version of drivers for your printer that are compatible with your Windows system.
So, to avoid such problems, you need to update your printer driver. You can do it manually from the manufacturer’s website or can perform it automatically.
Process 2: Connect the Printer to your Laptop via a Cable
With the help of a cable also, you can connect a printer to your laptop but you just need to have the right printer cable.
Step 1: Identify the Right Cable for your Printer and Laptop
First of all, you need to check and verify the ports on your printer and laptop. Then find out which type of cable can be used for connecting purposes. Usually, there are three types of printer cables that are being used. Among them, the USB cable is most widely used for connecting printers to your laptop.
Step 2: Attach the Cable to the Respective Ports of your Printer and Laptop
Once you have attached the cable to the respective ports of your laptop and printer, your Windows system will now automatically download and install the correct drivers for your printer. Thus, now you will be able to use the printer on your laptop successfully.
Hopefully, this post has provided you enough information on how to connect printer to laptop. You can perform any of the two steps discussed above.