Would you like to take the entertainment of your home to the next level? Well, nowadays every TV watcher is mesmerized with the giant video image and this has increased the popularity of projectors. But it cannot be denied that at present, almost every home and apartments are struggling with the ever growing space scarcity problem. Thus, at this point, it is difficult to accommodate a spectacular and giant projector setup.
To overcome these limitations, the short throw projectors and the ultra short throw projectors have been introduced. Without any second thought, this is the best substitute that one can have for a large-screen TV and that too without compromising performance, features and price. The emergence of these projectors has not only helped in entertainment purposes but it has also made its way in classrooms, business halls, institutes, boardroom discussions and so on.
While considering a projector for your purpose, it is crucial to know the factors which will help you in determining what size of the image you will be getting and that too from how much distance as space plays a major role. For a better understanding, let’s take a look below to know the difference between short throw projectors and ultra short throw projectors.
Short Throw Projectors Vs. Ultra Short Throw Projectors:
Short throw projectors are specially engineered to form large images from a short distance, whereas the Ultra short throw projectors permits you to project visuals from a relatively close distance. The latter ones are an outcome of modern technology where minimalistic lens system (wide angle lens and reflective lens) and complex mirror technology have been used to provide immersive and stunning visual outputs.
Short throw projectors can easily produce an image of 100 inch from a distance of 4 to 5 feet without any signs of distortion. On the other hand, the ultra short throw projectors form an image of 100 inch from just a minimal distance of 0.3 to 2 ft away. Both are exceptional when it comes to performance. The ultra short throw projectors excel in offering you best-in-class experience while you are watching your favourite sports or playing video games.
Though the short throw projectors have gained popularity in classrooms, small office spaces, etc, the ultra short throw projectors have been quite popular in the apartments where space is a crucial factor to consider.
Here we have recommended a list of some of the top short throw projectors and ultra short throw projectors based on the popularity, screen resolutions, lumens and other crucial factors.
Best Short Throw Projectors:
1. BenQ HT2150ST : Best Overall Short Throw Projector for Entertainment
The BenQ HT2150ST is a full-packed short throw projector that is exclusively designed to offer maximum screen size from a minimum distance. In spite of the fact that it offers a short throw range of 0.69-0.83, it allows you to notch up the size of the screen from 30 inches to 300 inches. This is undoubtedly the best short throw projector for movies, gaming and sports. With its 1080p native resolution and DLP projection systems, the BenQ HT2150ST projector displays stunning images. Though this high-end model lacks in longevity of a lamp, this projector has the capacity to last up to 7000 hours.
- Provides you with an excellent 3D visuals
- Its visual quality is clear, sharp and detailed
- Offers exceptional color output
- Retains brightness of 2200 ANSI lumens
- Uses cinematic colour technology
- The in-built audio quality is not that much appreciable
- The projector heats up randomly.
2. ViewSonic PJD5553LWS: Ideal Projector for Small Businesses and Education
ViewSonic PJD5553LWS is a critically acclaimed projector model that is remarkable for displaying jaw-dropping visual output. Though it has a short-throw ratio, it offers you with vivid image size ranging from 50 inch to 250 inch. With its WXGA native resolution, 3200 ANSI lumens brightness, 20000:1 contrast ratio, 30 bit colour depth, this short throw HD projector offers optimum colour quality. This DLP projection system is quite easy to install and also includes a cable management hood to restrict any cable cluttering.
- Offers top-notch visual output with dynamic lamp control
- Smooth 3D content projection from 3D Blu-ray player
- An approximate of 10000 hour max lamp life
- Comes with HDMI, USB Type B, VGA and composite RCA
- Comes with three years’ service warranty
- Issue related to rainbow effect
3. Optoma GT1080Darbee: Ultimate Choice for Gamers
This exclusive model of Optoma projector is well-known for its short throw line-up and for its impeccable visual performance. The image size range of this projector varies from 45” to 303” and this makes it an ideal solution for entertainment purposes (both indoors and outdoors). When it comes to high-quality visual output, this Optoma model is considered as the best due to its 1920*1080p native screen resolution along with DLP projection. Being encrypted with features like an enhanced colour wheel, 16ms input lag and sRGB colour display, you can play and visualize any 3D HD contents in it with ease. In terms of affordability and performance, this short throw projector is an ideal one.
- Short-term gaming lag
- Comes with decent lamp longevity that lasts up to 80000 hours.
- After some hours of usage, gets affected with yellow tint issue
- Light instability is caused due to dynamic black.
4. Optoma ML750ST : The Most Affordable Short Throw Projector
If you are looking for an efficient short throw projector 4k at an affordable range, then the Optoma ML750ST is the most appropriate one. This best-value projector comes with an extensive list of features and offers incredible, life-like visual quality images. Due to its 20000:1 contrast ratio and 700 ANSI lumens, this HD projector has the capacity to outreach other models in terms of brightness. Besides that, this projector also has full HD 3D compatibility, thus here you can play various 3D contents up to 120Hz. Also, it is the cheapest option to fulfil your entertainment needs.
- Offers jaw-dropping visual quality contents
- Ultra-compact, lightweight projector which makes it extremely portable
- Presence of different types of ports
- This model comes with two years warranty period
- Enhance the visual output with extensive functionalities.
- Minimal issue related to scaling
5. ASUS S1: The Well-Known LED Pocket Projector
The ASUS S1 short throw projector can be your prime target if you are in search of a mini short distance projector for enhancing quality visual output. With image size ranging from 30” to 100”, short projection distance range of 0.73-2.43m and a 1.1:1 throw ratio, this ultra-compact ASUS S1 has changed the overall perspective of short throw projector. To provide an immersive visual output, the ASUS S1 projector comes with 0.3 inch DLP projection system and WVGA native resolution. One of the most commendable features of this projector is that its powerful LED has a lasting capacity of 30000 hours, which can be more than 15 years. Moreover, its specifications, portability, capability and performance have made it one of the best short throw projectors available in the market.
- From the price point of view, incredible.
- Razor-sharp visuals with clarity
- Commendable throw distance range
- Long-lasting battery backup for uninterrupted experience
- Highly portable with weight of only 0.75 lbs.
- The brightness of this projector can be better
- To get full volume audio, you will need a headphone or speaker
- Offers a limited amount of inputs.
6. BenQ WXGA DLP: Blu-ray Full HD & 3D Supported Projector
The premium BenQ WXGA DLP ultra short throw projector is a top choice for those interested in data representation images. This portable projector can be best for small areas set up with a throw range of 0.72-0.87:1. With its Colorific Technology, DLP projection, 30-bit displayable colour and WXGA screen resolution, it manages to attain its position of being the best affordable projector available in the market. An added advantage of having this projector is that you get the convenience of Plug ‘N Play and MHL, with the help of which you will be able to stream your favourite movies and TV shows via your smartphone.
- Stunning visuals with excellent vividness, sharp and detailed
- More than adequate throw ratio and its portability
- Full HD 3D display with latest Blu-ray 3D content support and DPLR technology
- Comes with a maximum of 10000 hours of lamp life
- The speaker quality of this projector is quite poor
- Issues related to rainbow artefact.
Best Ultra Short Throw Projectors:
1. LG HF85JA Ultra Short Throw Projectors
These LG Ultra Short projectors deliver a clear screen display with 1,500 lumens brightness. When compared to a traditional projector, it displays comparatively larger and vivid images and comes with a 20,000 hr laser lamp life. Moreover, this particular model of LG projector uses DLP technology of Texas’s for displaying a 1920*1080 full high-definition resolution. You can wirelessly stream sound from the projector directly to the various audio systems that are Bluetooth compatible.
- Comes with built-in OS and some popular web streaming apps like Amazon Prime and Netflix
- The screen can be shared with any Miracast supporting device
- A web browser and an app store comes pre-installed with it
- Comes with an in-built 3W stereo speakers and a magic remote which looks like a computer mouse
- In ambient lighting, the lights get washed away
- The noise from the fan often seems irritating.
2. Epson Home Cinema Ultra Short Throw LS100 3 LCD
The Epson Home Cinema LS100 is a popular dynamic projector known for displaying exceptional vivid and brilliant colours. With an immersive 1920*1200 (WUXGA) full HD display and brightness peaked at 4,000 lumens, this high-quality projector offers excellent picture quality and transcendent viewing experience. Its 3 HDMI ports offer its users versatile connectivity for various streaming devices as well as gaming consoles. All these exclusive features make it a top choice for entertainment and business purposes.
- The projector is superb bright with laser light source
- Comes with adjustable control in brightness and 16-watt speaker
- The noise of the fan is modest
- The size of the picture is restricted to 130”
- No interpolation of frame
- Not 3D-enabled
3. ViewSonic PX800 Ultra Short Throw Projectors
The ViewSonic PX800 ultra short throw projector offers beautifully immersive images with incredibly accurate colours. As this projector uses TruCinema RGBRGB technology, it delivers life-like images. With a full HD 1080P resolution and a brightness of 2000 lumens, it offers you a theatre-like experience with exact colour saturation, stunning visuals and razor-sharp images. Furthermore, the patented technology used by Viewsonic is responsible for making flexible connectivity. Being designed with 3 HDMI inputs, it projects 3D images straight from the 3D Blu-ray players. Thus, it is an ideal projector for those who offers cinematic and gaming experience
- Decreased input latency makes it the best for action-packed gaming.
- For limited space options, the throw ratio of this projector is perfect
- Comes with a 3-year warranty.
- In comparison to other projectors, its lamp life is too short
- No frame interpolation
- In the presence of ambient light, the 2000 lumens get easily washed away.
4. Optoma GT5500+ Ultra Short Throw Projector
Transform your gaming and entertainment experience with the ultimate Optoma GT5500+ Ultra Short Throw projector. This well-designed projector retains a brightness of 3500 lumens and produces well-detailed, properly structured and razor-sharp images. With this 100-inch 1920*1080 high-definition display resolutions, 20,000:1 contrast ratio, four-corner correction and 16-watt speaker, it optimizes the image along with crisp audio and impressive visuals. With the DLP Link 3D glass support and 3D-sync output, it transforms your visuals to 3D. Being backed by the Rec. 709 gamut and LG’s Dynamic Black technology, it ensures that you visualize the exact colours of the images with detailed clarity.
- Easy place and play screen positioning
- Auto keystone for trouble-free set up.
- Offers decent images in ambient light conditions
- Noisy fan and minimum rainbow as well as hotspot effects
- Availability of limited adjustment options.
Hope that by going through this guide, you will be able to choose the best short throw and short ultra throw projectors for your home or office use. So, make your choice wisely.